Criminal Science Technology
Criminal Science Technology (Public Safety)
What you'll do in Criminal Science Technology:
1. Work with a professional, current police officer, certified by the State of Ohio, who will train you in a wide range of law enforcement skills.
2. Use and practice Self-defense tactics, handcuffing, pepper spray and Taser!
3. Conduct all phases of crime scene investigation and processing
4. Patrol the high school campus and enforce parking violations
5. Work with the actual law and public safety equipment that professionals use!
The Criminal Science Technology program is a two-year college tech prep program located at Barberton High School. This two-year program cross-trains and prepares students for entry-level positions in the specific areas of criminal justice, forensic science, homeland security and various public safety fields. Students are prepared for and have the opportunity to take exams for state and national certifications such as:
- Public Safety Telecommunicator 1
- Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support
- National Incident Management System
In addition, students will have the opportunity to earn college credits through post-secondary agreements with The University of Akron, Kent State University & Youngstown State University.
Coursework also includes interaction with law and public safety professionals and participation in public/civic events.
Background checks, physicals, and drug testing are required prior to entry into the program. Class uniforms and supplies are part of a required lab fee in both junior and senior years.
What you will learn:
What does it take?
- Interest in working with and helping people
- Above average communication skills
- A strong defense of emotional control
- Ability to think clearly under stress
- Professionalism and ethics
- Positive attitude
- Common Sense
- No criminal background
- Drug free and healthy!
- Law enforcement
- Park/wildlife ranger
- Forensic scientist
- Private/corporate security
- Border Patrol
- United States Military
Future educational options:
- Criminology and justice studies
- Criminal justice technology
- Forensic psychology
- Police officer training academy
- Emergency management
- Homeland security
Student club activities:
- Skills USA
- Southern Poverty Law Center
- Summit County Fire Association